Nobis and Chromebooks: Which do RC students prefer?

Students weigh options each laptop possesses

Torch Staff

Jasmin Kruel, a sophomore, works on a ChromeBook during SSP.

Chromebooks and Nobis are now commonplace in Rich Central classrooms. Both are laptop-style computers that allow students to surf the internet during class. They allow the student to get access to different resources and are supposed to help the students better their classroom experience.

Using these computers can be a rewarding experience, but many people find ways to complain about them. These computers are very different, and each have their own problems.

While the Chromebooks are faster and more lightweight, they’re very limited in their functions. On Chromebooks, you need to have access to the school’s wireless internet – which doesn’t always work – to use them. Otherwise, they’re useless. The Chromebooks move very quickly, though, and will let you access the internet easily when it is connected.

“Nobi’s are stupid,” said a Rich Central freshman. Most people share this opinion of the Nobis. They’re bigger laptops that double as a touchscreen tablet. However, they move very slowly, taking several minutes to start up, let alone access anything, such as the internet.

Most of the students and staff prefer the Chromebooks to the Nobi’s because of the larger screens and faster loading times. You can access Microsoft Word online and do everything you could do on a Nobi while using a Chromebook.