As End of Semester Approaches, Don’t Forget About Self-Care

As End of Semester Approaches, Dont Forget About Self-Care

With the end of the semester is approaching (the countdown has begun!) you could be feeling more stress than usual.  Since coming back to the building in September, to learning an entirely new schedule, to going back remote, and all the chaos in between, if you are feeling extra anxiety right now, YOU ARE NOT ALONE.  

Don’t forget about the importance of mental health during this time period.  Along with all the extra pressure with being a student, many people find the impending holidays cause a great deal of extra stress.  

It’s been a tough go for all students over the past two years, but we (as resilient students!) need to make sure we are taking care of ourselves.  STEM Senior JCarla Harris, said, “The end of the semester is always more stressful, but when I’m feeling overwhelmed, I take some time to myself.  I like to draw, read, or go for a walk.  And never forget the power of a good cry!”  Don’t forget it is okay to ask for help.  Whether you need extra help in a certain subject, or need a general breather, it is okay to ask.  So many of the teachers in this district are here to support you. Seek them out!  

If you are struggling in a specific class, talk to your teacher TODAY!  Maybe you can do a couple of make-up assignments if you fell behind at any point during this semester.  Reach out to classmates and friends as well.  You may find talking with a friend who feels the same way helps you feel like you are not battling this alone!   

Some other good tips to help in easing the stress and anxiety are:

​​1. Don’t stress about the things you can’t control.

2.  Stay organized.

3.  Make the most of your time.

4.  Ask for help if needed.

5.  Eat healthy and get sleep.

After the semester is over, make sure to celebrate and reward yourself!  High school is hard and can take its toll on your mental health, so don’t forget about yourself.   Finish this semester on a high note so you can feel good about going into 2nd semester and the new year!