Nasir Bailey Wrestles His Way to State Champion

Nasir Bailey is IHSA State Champion!
This weekend Nasir Bailey made history becoming the first ever Rich Township Raptor to win a STATE CHAMPIONSHIP!

On Saturday, February 19th, Nasir won the IHSA 3A 132 lb State Championship finishing off a perfect 41-0 season, along with capturing his third IHSA State title in three years.

During the IHSA State Series Nasir also won his 100th career victory at the high school level and was the recipient of the first ever Illinois Matmen award: Tony Ramos Award, given to the Most Dominant wrestler in the 3A division.

Nasir has worked all season on improving his craft and becoming the best in the state, and in the country.  Nasir is a great representation and role model of what we want our Raptor athletes to be.

(Original story posted February 15, 2022)
Rich Township Junior, Nasir Bailey, is headed to the IHSA State Finals.   Nasir, a junior at STEM campus, is the first wrestler to qualify for state competition as a Rich Township Raptor.

This past weekend, Nasir competed in the IHSA 3A Sectional Tournament held in Granite City where dominated his opponents, becoming the Sectional Champion as well as extending his record to 37-0.

Nasir will leave for the IHSA State Series held at the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign, this Wednesday and then compete on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in focus of capturing his third State Title.

Nasir is currently the number 1 seeded wrestler in the 132 lb weight class and will compete in four separate matches with high hopes of making it to the State Final match on Saturday evening.
The first match will be on Thursday evening, followed by two matches on Friday afternoon, and one match on Saturday.

There will also a a fan bus making it’s way down to U of I for students to take on Saturday to come watch Nasir compete for his third state title.  Any students who would like to attend the event  can pick up a permission form at the athletic office at either campus.  The only cost it the $10 IHSA entrance ticket fee.  More information can be found on social media and Schoology.