Snowball keeps the ball rolling

30 years later, Snowball still special for students

Snowball+students+and+teachers.+

Courtesy of Maureen O'Hara

Snowball students and teachers.

Snowball I began on Thursday, February 27, and successfully concluded on Sunday, March 2. Many students, including junior staff member Ryan Pryor, had a fantastic time.

This year marked the 30th anniversary for Snowball in the district and also marked Ms. O’Hara’s — also known as Mo — last Snowball. She is retiring after this year, so the students payed tribute to her by having “30 MO” written on the back of their shirts.

According to Ms. O’Hara, the best part about her Snowball experience has been the staff members that she has met. She says that they are “some of the best people” she knows. They have “laughed hard, cried hard, and worked hard,” and made her involvement “worthwhile” as they have “become like a family.”

Ms. O’Hara would like to see Operation Snowball continue and see more of what happens at Snowball brought back to our schools. Specifically, she would like to see people “treat each other nicely… be open to meeting new people… and not judge each other,” as they do at Snowball.

Ms. O’Hara was bidden farewell in a major way. Lindsay Moorer, a junior Snowball director, says that this year’s Snowball was the “most exciting one” that she’s been to, and she’s attended four previous Snowballs. Lindsay said that the students who went to Snowball this year were especially enthusiastic and “involved.”

Sophomore participant Phynix Huhn-Simmons said that Snowball was very fun. She found the experience “enlightening” and she was able to “figure out more” about herself. At Snowball, Phynix says that she was also able to solve some of her problems at home and she “loved” the entire weekend. She says that she is definitely considering trying out for staff in the future.